Thursday, March 17, 2005

spiral

(niina lüus and i wrote this on a whim last saturday. i did one paragraph, she did the next and so on.. it has a wonderful distinct flow to it, without drifting too far into meaninglessness, and i dig the characters. it's also bizarre how similar the writing is..)

Trembling from being indoors for so long, she motioned me to waltz towards the trees.
“?” I wondered with my eyes.
“!” She exhaled, thrusting her cheekbones to the sky.
“...” grumbled myself, too subtle to make a scene, but just barely out of earshot, so she wouldn’t know what hit her. She groaned, mockingly, as I started to fall behind. She took large flamboyant steps, tucking her knees up to her waist, in a flagrant display of her annoyance.
I laughed as she tripped over a twig, picked it up, started chewing it nonchalantly, swatting flies with it when I needed to.

Downwards we crept, closer to the hypnotic water. Chasing it like lemmings to the sea. Ending our gray-skied days and snow blown nights in a watery orgy of splashing colours.
When we finally arrived, two ducks greeted us and warned us that once we entered the watery abyss, we would never leave.
I dipped my toe cautiously into the water and then tasted the sweet drops.
“Ah, caramel” I exclaimed, and threw my new flyswatter into my watery home. She walked in up to her ankles and wiggled her toes with joy, realizing that our earthly hibernation of twenty years had finally ended.

Thousands of pebbles gently rubbed each other under my feet, making a noise that could only be “kishaaa” as my wild eyes scoured the beach for something with meat. The waves were glittering, the sun was shining brilliantly – everything was blinding my eyes and obscuring my view; I wanted to weep and somehow add my own tears to the vastness that leapt outwards. I felt outside my body, firmly rooted only by the fleshy skin wrapped around grey-blue stones with my toes. I made the face the cloud above me made, and spent an eternity in all the energy of one instant.
I nudged her shoulder with my jaw: it was time to go.

Eyes smiling, she laughed and pushed me backwards. Head over heels, heels over head, I spiraled ahead to heal from my wintery grave. The sun streaked through the stream, and a high-pitched ringing vibrated in my mind, calling me to new levels of understanding. Alone in the womb-like gel, I continued spiraling to the innermost darkness, free at last from the airy superfice. I held my breath until my lungs almost imploded from the pressure.
Suffocating
Decaying
Entropy took willing control of my body.

It took all my strength to break free of the spiral, but with this rupture came a tremendous relief, a masturbatory freedom if you will, and I stopped trying to move. I let the waters flow around me, past me, even through me. I joined the salmon, and smirked at how our paths are so similar; immersed in a substance beyond our control, only able to alter ones’ direction, and how easy it is to be caught up in the spiral of existence, to let go.
I clamped down on something pink and felt scales separate in my noise hole. I emerged from the stream of life, dripping wet from the mouth that fed me. She pulled me out of the womb; shivering, we lit a fire and gorged ourselves on nature’s creation: sweet and sticky.

No comments: