Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Ragavan


I turned on the computer, sat down on my uncomfortable chair, and felt two sensations: crotch chafing and coffee gut. I looked around my surroundings. They did not have a desk or computer for me, so I am sitting in Ragavan’s cubicle, or, as I prefer, Raga’s cube, which sounds mystic and magical. It is clear that he treasures his two young children and their horrific artwork, which consists of a mixed race dinosaur (really more of a dino-bird-rat), other unidentifiable creatures, and some sort of depressed kite with a single coloured string stapled to its face. In truth, Ragavan is a dashing young man with an attractive wife. The picture above could be any Ragavan, any children. There is the man, and there is the legend.
There are other little trinkets and mysteries here. Miniature plastic Asian dolls, a large box of salt, a bag of instant honeyed ginger drink, and a note which states: Hope you like our muffins?? Ragamuffin = Peanut butter + jam. Sitting at Ragavan’s desk makes me squirm a little. There are ten pairs of shoes under the desk (fungus?) and a big tub of Vaseline – more fungus? I can’t reveal to you where I am employed; that information is classified. Let’s just say I work in the civil service.

2 comments:

Daboolal said...

I missed your writings. I feared you had retired to Peterborough for the summer.

Adam said...

bppin sponn!

I miss passing absurd notes with you.

Peterborough? Old chap, I haven't been to that hamlet in decades. And you know I come from Cheswickstonshire-upon-Poo. And you come from Cork!

Nope, I'm off to Istanbul is Constantinople. I think. Cyrus might join me there. Right before Xmas I will have to decide whether to return to TO to finish my degree, or go to Mali to the festival in the desert, or hop on a ship destination the port with the best whores.